Home » Topic: Dorothy Dugger

Topic: Dorothy Dugger

Dorothy Dugger is the sitting General Manager of the Bay Area Rapid Transit agency — the administrator in charge of day-to-day operations of one of America’s busiest heavy rail systems for a metropolitan area.

Dugger, 57, was selected as BART’s GM in August 2007, becoming the first woman to hold the position. Previously, she held the position of Assistant General Manager for 13 years.

Dugger oversaw the agency during the New Year’s Day 2009 videotaped killing of unarmed passenger Oscar Grant at the Fruitvale BART station by former transit agency police officer Johannes Mehserle.

In the days and weeks following the incident, she, along with former BART Police Chief Gary Gee, became a lightening rod of criticism from community members and several members of the BART Board of Directors over the agency’s handling of the shooting.

A protester who attended a BART Board meeting following the shooting splattered red paint over Dugger. The man, who was tackled and arrested by BART Police, said the paint was supposed to represent Grant’s blood.

BART Board Director Lynette Sweet, a vocal critic of Dugger, called for her resignation in the weeks following the shooting, saying that Dugger intentionally downplayed the severity of the incident and deliberately withheld information about the case from the Board of Directors.

But there were concerns from within the agency regarding Dugger’s familiarity of the law enforcement arm of the organization. She primarily focused on the transit operations of BART and may not have been privy to police tactics and protocols. When she was hired in 2007, her goals focused on the running of the agency’s trains.

Few, if any, of them focused on BART Police.

Dugger has been with the transit agency since 1992. She graduated from Rutgers University and previously worked at the Port Authority of New York before joining BART.

She lives in the Grand Lake District of Oakland.

Information compiled from Beat research and news services

BART Police Shooting, Cops & Courts »

[By California Beat | 16 Jun 2010 | No Comments]
Kenton Rainey

After five long arduous months, the BART Police Department finally welcomed its new chief to the force Wednesday, ending a nationwide search for a top-cop to lead an embattled police agency that continues to deal with fallout from a fatal videotaped officer-involved shooting of an unarmed train passenger on January 1, 2009.

Kenton Rainey, 51, officially took the reins of BART Police after successfully completing a vetting process by the agency, the transit district said today. He was offered the position in May.

BART Police Shooting, The Bay Area »

[By Jennifer Courtney | 13 May 2010 | One Comment]
Kenton Rainey

(5/12) — 10:45 PDT — OAKLAND, CALIF. — BART has chosen Kenton Rainey, a former police chief for the city of Fairfield, as its next police chief, the Beat has learned.

Rainey, 51, is currently a commander with the San Antonio Police Department in Texas. He left his position with the Fairfield Police Department in July 2009, to accept the San Antonio position. He was selected for the Fairfield job in 2007, becoming the first police chief in that city to come from outside the department.

BART Police Shooting »

[By California Beat | 19 Aug 2009 | No Comments]
bartpoliceofficer1

In what is being called a harsh indictment of the BART Police Department’s policies and protocols, the law firm hired by the transit agency to do a top-down review of the New Year’s morning incident that resulted in a transit agency police officer shooting and killing an unarmed passenger delivered a stinging critique that slammed the department’s poor handing of the situation.

The report, submitted by East Bay-based Meyers Nave slammed the agency’s police officers who responded to the incident saying they failed to follow protocol, didn’t communicate with one another, and unnecessarily escalated tension on the Fruitvale Station platform which ultimately led to the shooting death of Oscar Grant.

BART Police Shooting »

[By California Beat | 21 Apr 2009 | One Comment]

UPDATED 04/22 23:37 PDT: Response from No Justice No BART protest group included.

New bans and prohibitions for anyone hoping to attend a BART Board of Directors meeting were made public Monday, a move that is viewed as a direct response to a series of tense meetings between angry Oscar Grant shooting protesters and transit agency brass that saw red paint being splattered on BART General Manager Dorothy Dugger two weeks ago.

BART Police Shooting »

[By California Beat | 3 Mar 2009 | 4 Comments]

The attorney for the family of a man shot and killed by a BART Police Officer at the Fruitvale BART station New Year’s morning in East Oakland has filed a $50 million wrongful death lawsuit against the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District.

John Burris, who represents the family of Oscar Grant, 22, filed the suit in U.S. District Court in Oakland Monday morning on behalf of the slain man’s mother, Wanda Johnson and the mother of Grant’s four year-old daughter.

BART Police Shooting »

[By California Beat | 13 Feb 2009 | No Comments]

A BART Board of Directors meeting descending into chaos Thursday morning after protesters — angry over the transit agency’s handling of the New Year’s morning shooting and killing of Oscar Grant by one of their police officers – seized control of the event and demanded the resignation of top BART brass and the arrest of a second transit officer caught on videotape punching Grant minutes before he was killed.

Protesters and local elected and religious leaders packed the morning meeting at BART headquarters in Downtown Oakland to discuss the creation of a police review committee which would oversee complaints and misconduct, but the demonstrators quickly began voicing their anguish over the handling of the investigation process by the transit agency and called on the Board to fire Transit Police Chief Gary Gee and General Manager Dorothy Dugger.

BART Police Shooting »

[By California Beat | 12 Feb 2009 | 2 Comments]

BART officials announced Wednesday that an independent third-party law firm has been hired by the transit agency to conduct an internal investigation into the New Year’s morning events where a BART police officer killed an unarmed passenger on a station platform in front of hundreds of train passengers, some of them videotaping the entire incident.

The law firm, East Bay-based Meyers Nave, will be paid $150,000 to take over the transit agency’s probe of the highly publicized incident as it struggles to earn back public confidence after being slammed by angry community officials, elected officials and law enforcement experts for over a month.

BART Police Shooting »

[By California Beat | 5 Feb 2009 | 2 Comments]

Five of Oscar Grant’s friends who were with the BART Police shooting victim on the Fruitvale Station platform when he was shot to death by a transit agency police officer on New Year’s morning filed a $1.5 million claim against the transit district in Alameda County Superior Court Wednesday.

The claim accuses the BART Police officers that responded to a reported melee on-board an East Bay bound BART train of using excessive force, illegal detainment and civil rights violations. The five claimants, Nigel Bryson, Jackie Bryson, Michael Greer, Carlos Reyes and Fernando Anicete, are all long-time friends of Grant, according to legal documents filed by attorney John Burris Wednesday.

BART Police Shooting »

[By California Beat | 4 Feb 2009 | 2 Comments]

OAKLAND, CALIF — No bus crash, no train collision, nor any transit shutdown that any American public transportation provider ever suffered resulted in as much public scorn and embarrassment that the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District has received in the wake of the Oscar Grant shooting incident.

Outrage at the transit agency has come from nearly everywhere: from city, county and state officials, to folks living halfway around the world who have viewed the shocking home videos of one of their transit police officers shooting an unarmed man in the back, killing him.

Almost immediately, people demanded to know why, but BART appeared to not have an answer.

BART Police Shooting »

[By California Beat | 4 Feb 2009 | 3 Comments]

John Burris, the attorney for BART Police shooting victim Oscar Grant’s family, will be filing additional claims against the transit agency on behalf of the other young men who were detained by transit agency police officers on New Year’s morning at the Fruitvale Station platform for civil rights violations.

Burris, speaking with the San Francisco Chronicle’s Matier and Ross, said that four to six other individuals will be asking BART to compensate them for the alleged violations after they were detained and handcuffed on Jan. 1 by BART Police officers. No arrests were made that night.