Home » BART Police Shooting

BART Police Shooting

[By Beat News Service | 14 Aug 2011 | No Comments]
A screen grab of the myBART.org website depicts the Anonymous logos left behind after the hack. (Beat Photo)

An international group of hackers carried out an attack against the Bay Area Rapid Transit District’s online infrastructure Sunday, leaking thousand of user names, addresses, phone numbers and log-in passwords belonging to subscribers of the website myBART.org.

Hackers claiming to be affiliated with the organization “Anonymous” infiltrated the website Sunday morning, replacing images with their main calling card — the mask worn by the main character in the film “V for Vendetta.” The hackers also rewrote text on the website, calling attention to their protest against the transit agency’s controversial decision to sever mobile phone access to prevent a planned protest last week.

[By Beat News Service | 13 Aug 2011 | 5 Comments]
Courtesy Image

(8/14) — 1041 PDT UPDATE — An online group of international hackers said Saturday they would hold a protest against the Bay Area Rapid Transit District’s recent decision to temporarily cut underground subway communications to prevent demonstrators from disrupting train service.

An updated posting from the group made public Saturday night threatened to “remove from the internet the web site of BART located at www.bart.gov for exactly six hours” beginning at 12 p.m. Pacific Time on Sunday. The international hacking group also said it would flood the agency’s e-mail inboxes and fax machines to express their dissatisfaction with the decision to suspend mobile voice and wireless communications last Thursday to rail passengers in the San Francisco subway.

[By California Beat | 12 Aug 2011 | 14 Comments]

BART officials admitted Friday that they shut off wireless communications for some stations in Downtown San Francisco to keep a planned protest from happening — a move that infuriated civil liberties groups and peeved passengers who likened the maneuver to former Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak’s regime to crush a citizen uprising.

[By Beat News Service | 12 Aug 2011 | No Comments]
bartprotest7

Bay Area Rapid Transit District officials found themselves defending a decision to temporarily disable underground wireless communications to mobile phone users in the Downtown San Francisco subway Thursday afternoon to heed off potential protests organized by anti-BART Police groups angry over the fatal officer-involved shooting of a transient at the Civic Center Station.

Civil liberties groups, advocates for free speech, and BART riders likened the maneuver to tactics used by Middle Eastern dictators like Hosni Mubarak, who attempted to stifle citizen uprisings earlier this year by cutting off access to voice, text and internet communications. 

[By Beat News Service | 11 Jul 2011 | One Comment]

UPDATE 2005 PDT: The Powell Street Station has reopened to passengers.

UPDATE 1934 PDT: 16th Street/ Mission and Civic Center stations have fully reopened to passengers.

UPDATE 1914 PDT: BART is beginning to shut down the Powell Street Station after protesters arrive at the transit stop. The Civic Center Station has reopened to allow passengers to off-board trains. Passengers may disembark trains at Powell, but BART is not allowing passengers to enter the station.

UPDATE 1835 PDT: BART has just shut down the 16th Street/ Mission Station after demonstrators moved their protest there.