Home » San Francisco

YOUR THOUGHTS: Condolences for fallen San Francisco firefighters

A veteran San Francisco firefighter was killed in the line of duty Thursday morning while fighting a dangerous four-story house fire in the city’s Diamond Heights neighborhood.

Lieutenant Vincent Perez, 48, served with the department for 21 years before he was fatally injured in the two-alarm fire.

A fellow firefighter, Anthony Valerio, passed away on Saturday from injuries he sustained while fighting the fire.

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee has ordered that all city flags be lowered to half-staff to honor Perez, Valerio and a third firefighter who suffered minor injuries in the fire.

This is a place to publicly salute the men and women of the San Francisco Fire Department and to offer your thoughts and condolences for them. Please post your messages below.

19 Comments »

• Brad said:

Thoughts an Prayers to the brothers of the San Francisco Fire Dept and the families of the fallen.

• Susan in San Francisco said:

If the family would like to see pictures of the tragedy, please contact proudjewishmom@yahoo.com

• Chloe said:

My condolences to Vincent Perez’s family.

• Carlos said:

I am sadden to hear the loss of Brother Perez. My thoughts and prayers go out to Brother Perez, his family and friends. My god grant a speedy recovery to injured Brother Valerio.

• Dahlia Blair said:

I was sorry to learn of this terrible loss. I would like to offer my condolences to the families, friends and brothers of both the firefighter who was killed and the one in critical condition. I have always been in awe of the courage of firefighters.

• Noe said:

My heart is saddened as I offer my condolences and heartfelt sympathy to the family of Lt. Vincent Perez.

Vince was a neighbor of mine at the condominimum complex where he lived in Concord.

He was a wonderful young man, and as a SF firefighter was dedicated to the community in which he served.

I will miss seeing him here and when our paths crossed, will miss our ‘chats.’

Thank you for your service Vince…You will always be remembered!

• terri schmidt said:

My blessings and condolences to the family of Mr. Perez. and Tony, may you heal and recover to have a wonderful life, full of laughter and the friends who love you. We cannot express to your family how the whole bamboo world is praying for you.. our love, hastings and terri

• T said:

I love you uncle Tony! You weren’t my actual uncle but you’ve been there for me since birth!! Bless your soul

• Fernando Espuelas said:

Although I did not know Lieutenant Perez, I admire and honor the way he chose to serve the community. I would like to extend my condolences to his family. I am very sorry for your loss. He died a hero.

• Richard Pasquinelli said:

Vince, you were a hell of a good fireman. It was an honor to work with you over the years. My heart goes out to your family & friends.
    Tony, my buddy, you hang in there. We’re all pulling for you. Remember we have plans to go surfin’ this summer! We all love your sense of humor & the world really needs it right now.
    Your friend,
    Rich

• William Moses said:

I send my most sincere condolences to the families and friends of Vincent Perez and Anthony Valerio.

• terri schmidt said:

Oh Tony, now that you are gone my heart is breaking. To think I will never hear one of your silly jokes again, watch your lovely smile, share a meal with you, or walk through the bamboo groves…. the world has lost a lovely man, a good person, a hero, who sacrificed himself for others. May you be laughing and surfing and biking where ever you are. blessings to you our friend. love love love terri and hastings

• Michael Shreeve said:

Sincere condolences from a volunteer in northern CA.

• Robert Liebsch said:

Thank you to the families of these men. Thanks to these men who gave their lives to others. It is a debt we cannot repay to either the families or men.

• Mimi Petersen said:

RIP Vencent Perez and Anthony Valerio. THe world was is such a better place with you and the other men and women who risk their lives every day in service to others. Thank you for your dedication. May your family and friends know how much your service was appreciated.

• J. Oakes said:

On behalf of “The Cuckoo’s Nest”, E.68,L.13,Bn.7,M.3,Philadelphia F.D. we would like to express of deepest condolence to family and friends of brothers Perez and Valerio. God Speed Brothers!

• Anthony and Lisa Shirley said:

Our sincere condolences to the families of these fallen heroes and to all of the dedicated ‎men and women of the San Francisco Fire Department.‎

• The TopNotch/Black Coalition Social Club said:

Dear Family members & Fellow Firefighters,

Our social club would like to express our sympathy and condolences to you for your loss. We pray that God will strengthen you and help through this time.

Sincerely,

Members of Top Notch/Black Coalition Social Club

• Make 'M Shine said:

Dear Family member & Fellow Fire fighters,

The Make ‘M Shine Family would like to express our sincere heart felt thoughts and prayers for your loss.

When you lose someone you love, it always takes some time to cope with all the sadness and the changes you go through.

So try to take thing day by day and know you’re not alone a lot of people truly care and hope the best for you.

With Deepest Sympathy,