Koh Samui is one of the most attractive islands among travelers visiting Thailand. With the wide variety of beach styles that it has, ranging from busy and bustling as Chaweng Beach to relaxed and lively beaches such as Lamai Beach, it can be said that Koh Samui represents a great attraction for everyone. Also, it offers an exciting range of activities that you can do either alone or with family or friends.
The following is the guide of the island of Koh Samui, where you can find all the essential information you should know before visiting so that you have the best experience and can plan your trip practically and strategically. Besides, via Koh Samui tours, you can have some unique and memorable experiences.
Where is Koh Samui?
The island is located in the province of Surat Thani, on the east coast of the Kra isthmus in Thailand, near the city of Surat Thani. To the north are the neighboring islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.
Where to sleep in Koh Samui?
Those traveling on a budget can stay in simple bungalows next to the beach, while the wealthiest tourists can choose one of the many luxury resorts or villas found in many of the white-sand beaches in the area. To help you find the best option for you according to your expectations and budget. So that you do not take unpleasant surprises when you arrive, then we share some recommendations with the best accommodations in the area.
What to see in Koh Samui?
If you want to know everything you should see in Koh Samui, we recommend you to be aware from the moment you put your first foot on the island since, if you arrive by ferry, you will probably arrive at Nathon Pier, which is the main port. It is located in the capital of the island, which represents an attraction in itself. Then, you can enjoy the beautiful beaches of the island, which are the best in the country. There are beaches for all tastes, from quieter to more bustling with parties included. You can find information about some of them in our article on the best beaches of Koh Samui.
If you are interested about the religious culture of the country, you cannot miss the Big Buddha that is in the Wat Phra Yai temple. And if the natural landscape attracts you the most, you can explore the depths of the jungle of the island. Also, you can take a walk through the Ang Thong National Marine Park, with around 42 islands to explore and all kinds of marine life that you can Know if you do the diving or snorkeling activity.
What to do in Koh Samui?
If you want to know everything you need to see and do in Koh Samui, we recommend you consider some of the excursions offered at the place. The offer is wide and varied, and you can choose the ones that best suit your tastes and interests. Besides, there are options for all ages. Undoubtedly, one of the things you can not miss in Koh Samui is to practice some aquatic activity such as snorkeling or diving. The island has many agencies where you can learn and get certified in diving, and also with a large number of nearby areas ideal for practicing the activity, whether you are a newbie or if you have a more advanced level.
Another of the activities you can do in Koh Samui is Very Thai. That is a martial art and it has become the national sport of Thailand. It has gained popularity in many parts of the world. The island has a handful of good quality gyms where you can learn about this practice and train yourself to achieve the goal you want. Also, if you want the activity to be the priority of your trip, you can stay within several of the complexes where it will take place.
Tours and Excursions in Koh Samui
The excursions you can go on in Koh Samui include sea rides in traditional boats, touring the natural landscapes of the Ang Thong National Marine Park, and jungle rides in all-terrain vehicles. Furthermore, there are historical walks through the main cultural and religious points of the island, to Thai cooking classes with which you can surprise all your friends and family on the way home. You choose!
1. Ang Thong National Marine Park
Snorkeling, hiking, sea kayaking, and diving are some of the main activities that can be enjoyed in Ang Thong. It is an ideal place for this because of its crystalline waters and the great variety of marine life that you can find face to face. Also, the 42 islands that are part of the National Park have landscapes worth exploring. There are a lot of tours that go to this area from Koh Samui and include different activities that you can choose according to your interests. We recommend you take a look at the offers we offer for being our reader.
2. Ecological jungle safari excursion
This tour is ideal for getting more involved with the local life on the island and with the flora and fauna that inhabits it. You will visit some of the most beautiful places, such as the falls (Na Muang and Tar Nim), the Hidden Magic Garden, rubber plantations and fruit orchards, all on an all-terrain vehicle It will add a bit of adrenaline to the experience. Being our reader, you can enjoy some of the offers we offer.
3. Walk through the most beautiful parts of the island
In this half-day tour, you will be able to know the essential points of the island that you cannot miss. Some of these are the famous Big Buddha, the local market in the city of Nathon, and the Kunaram temple (where you can see an impressive mummified monk). You can take a look at the offers you have for being a reader of our page.
When is the best time for visit?
Throughout the year, there is very little seasonal difference in temperatures. Maximums of 30 ° C and minimum temperatures of 23 ° C to 25 ° C are measured every month. What does change considerably during the year is the cover of clouds and rain, which at certain times can become a bit annoying for outdoor activities. That is why we consider that the best time to visit the area is between January and April. That is when the rains are less frequent.
- The best months of the year to visit Koh Samui – January, February, March, and April are the best months of the year to visit the area.
- Worst months of the year to visit Koh Samui – From May to December, the rains become more frequent and can ruin your outdoor plans, which are one of the main attractions of the place (especially between September and November).
Travel tips for Koh Samui
To make the most of your trip when visiting this area, we will share some tips or advice that you can keep in mind. These can be very helpful, especially if it is the first time you visit the island of Koh Samui.
- Open your mind – Depending on your place of origin, you can feel a tremendous cultural shock when visiting this place, so it is best to have an open mind to enrich yourself and enjoy respectfully.
- Book tours and activities in advance – This is ideal for securing your place, as some of the excursions, such as those related to diving, are very popular and fill their seats quickly, especially in high season.
- The national currency is the optimal way to pay for purchases and services – The national currency is the Thai baht. You can change your euros or dollars at any bank or exchange office in the city, as well as at Koh Samui Airport.
- For swimming and water sports, the best season is between December and August – During the rest of the year, rains are persistent in the area and can ruin your plans outdoors.
- Use sunscreen – As in any tropical region, the sun is powerful, and it is always essential to protect the skin from future injuries. It’s also a good idea to wear hats or hats that shade your face.
- Find out in advance about the characteristics of the beaches – In Koh Samui there are beaches of all kinds, ideal for relaxing or for partying, so it is a good idea to inform yourself about the characteristics of the beaches you plan to visit to find what you need or want.
Enjoy your visit!