- Former BART officer Mehserle receives minimum sentence: 2 year prison term (11/5)
- Peaceful protests against Mehserle verdict turn violent as sun sets (7/9)
- Johannes Mehserle found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, but acquitted of murder (7/8)
- BART Police Dispatch Recordings — Listen to what BART Police officers said the night Grant was shot
- MEHSERLE PUBLIC LETTER: Letter from Johannes Mehserle to the public dated July 4, 2010
- BART Shooting Podcast — Listen to Beat reporters Steven Luo and Tashina Manyak talk about the trial (6/23)
- KGO Newstalk AM810 Interview — Beat Reporter Tashina Manyak talks about the trial on the Gil Gross program. (7/2)
- KGO Newstalk AM810 Interview — Beat Reporter Tashina Manyak talks about courtroom developments on the Gil Gross program. (6/30)
- KQED-FM Interview — Beat Reporter Tashina Manyak talks about the trial on KQED Radio (6/17)
- Mehserle: “I didn’t intend to shoot Mr. Grant; I meant to Tase him” (6/25)
- Mehserle takes the stand in his murder trial (6/24)
- Prosecution rests in Mehserle trial; BART train operator downplays severity of fight (6/21)
- Controversial former BART officer Tony Pirone takes the stand in Mehserle murder trial (6/18)
- Extraordinary steps being taken in Oakland to avert violence after Mehserle verdict (6/18)
- Grant, Michael Jackson supporters mingle in dueling protests at LA courthouse (6/14)
- Prosecution, defense lay out framework for historic Mehserle trial on opening day (6/10)
- No African-Americans seated on Mehserle trial jury (6/10)
The California Beat and The Campanil are partnering to provide daily court reporting from the Johannes Mehserle BART shooting murder trial in Los Angeles. Mehserle is the former BART Police Officer who was caught on video shooting and killing 22 year-old Oscar Grant at the Fruitvale BART station on January 1, 2009.
His killing sparked a fiery outcry in the Bay Area about the justifiability of the killing. It touched off violence in Oakland and sparked fervent protests for charges to be brought against Mehserle.
As part of our commitment to following the developments, we’ve compiled a directory to help you understand the context surrounding what happened and how it affects the Bay Area.
- The BART Shooting: The Story So Far — our continuing narrative of the events of January 1, 2009, and the aftermath
- Open Letter to our Readers — Why we’re doing this, and how you can help fund our coverage
- Oscar Grant
- Johannes Mehserle
- Tony Pirone
- Marysol Domenici
- Dorothy Dugger
- Gary Gee
- John Burris
- Michael Rains
- Robert Perry
Help fund our coverage of the trial through Spot.Us, a community-based nonprofit that works to raise money for independent journalists like the California Beat to provide coverage of news for the Bay Area and California.